Saturday, March 14, 2015

Jim Kastama Guest Speaker

Jim was a polished speaker and interesting fellow.  I found myself listening less to what he was saying, and more to how he was saying it.  From the moment he said, "I'm going to make you the most popular person on campus..." I found myself focusing on the mechanics of his presentation.  I thought to myself here is a craftsman at attracting and holding an audience in suspense.  There's a lot to be learned by how he does it.

And of course he introduces the topic of Lamborghini.  Who isn't intrigued by that?  Very effective use of the prop.

I can see how he would have been a very effective politician.  Yet, it doesn't seem to have gone to far to his head.  One of my cousins was a State Legislator years ago, and he's still Mike, but the experience did change him somewhat.  It seems he has made a lot of invaluable connections through being a legislator.  This would seem to be an ideal career move.  Might have to consider it for myself.  Well, perhaps more than consider, it's something I've considered off and on for a long time.  You know, "boy if I were in charge, I would have done..."

Anyway, I enjoyed listening to Jim.  There were some key points he brought up, which I agree with and think are important to take note of.  The importance of having the right team and the right partners, and to not be afraid of failure.  It was a valuable insight to know that some investors aren't interested in you if you haven't failed before, and can demonstrate you have learned from mistakes.

Some other important points I wanted to jot down from my notes, though I think it was Andrew who said them.  Be authentic.  Don't try to be someone you're not.  Be yourself.  And lastly, if you want to be an expert/authority on a subject, write about it.


No comments:

Post a Comment