Friday, January 23, 2015

Startup.com, Living the Dream, Living the Nightmare

I don't think this is the first time I've seen Startup.com.  It felt familiar, but it was most likely sometime ago that I saw it.
This is a fantastic documentary.  Generally, I don't care much for this style of documentary.  By this style, I mean the camera is following someone around for an extended time.  Because, much like "reality" tv, once the camera is rolling, it's no longer reality in the same sense.  This is why I don't think cameras should be allowed in court room proceedings, but that's another issue.  Despite this, there are time where you get the sense, the principles have forgotten the camera was rolling.  This is where the real value of this film lies.  Getting a true insight into Kaliel and Tom's experience.
What a ride they took.  It wasn't made clear, how much they paid themselves in salary, or how much of their shares they sold off, while the selling was good.  So, other than the value of the experience, it wasn't clear how well they were positioned financially when the ride was over.  I like that in the end, Kaliel ended up with a dog, though I'm not sure he was with the same woman who insisted they have a baby or get a dog.
At some point, it was clear they didn't pay enough attention to their product.  The underlying technology they were providing was too flawed.  They didn't do what they needed to do soon enough to correct this.  None the less, before they ever shipped the product out the door, the valuation was already through the roof.  If it were I, this is the point were I would have sold off a good portion of my interest in the company, hedged my bets so to speak.  I think the 3rd founder sold out too soon for too little, and I don't know if Kaliel and Tom kept their whole hand in for the whole game.

No comments:

Post a Comment